Tuesday, April 6, 2010

DAY TRIP TO BRATISLAVA

Before Czechoslovakia split into two separate countries (the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic) in 1993, Bratislava was just another big city. Today, it’s the capital of Slovakia, a bustling metropolis that serves as the center of the country’s political affairs. Bordered by Hungary to the south and Austria to the west, it is Slovakia’s largest city and one of the country’s main tourist destinations. I arrived with little to no clue as to what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised. The city is small and easily walk-able, but still refreshingly modern and clean. There’s not much to see, but I spent the day wandering aimlessly and enjoyed every minute of it.


My favorite street.




The most adorable statue in Eastern Europe.





I followed a crowd into this church hoping to look around, never expecting that they would shut the doors behind me and start mass in Slovak! Amazingly, I knew what was going on 99% of the time even though I didn't speak a word of the language. Thanks for preparing me for this day, Holy Cross!

No comments:

Post a Comment